There are certain foods that have a property of being hydrophilic. This term mean (hydro) water (philia) loving. It means that they are filled with water and the one who consumes it feel heavy and full. But if you are aiming at reducing your weight then along with these foods you need to eat fibers as well. These hydrophilic food forms a gel matrix in your intestine, maintaining the blood sugar which in turns lower down your hunger level.
1. Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are known to be excellent absorber as they can absorb water up to 12 times their weight. And since they are flavorless they can be eaten with any meal without a change in taste. These seeds are good maintainer of electrolytes in body and very active nutrient absorber. They have calcium, magnesium, omega-3’s fibers, antioxidants and ions also.
2. Okra: This vegetable consists of low calories and quite high amount of fibers. People usually don’t use them because of its slender shape but these are good if used in soups. Okra is rich in vitamins like B6, C and A. plus it also have high amounts of calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and folates.
3. Oatmeal: This is a famous breakfast meal that gives you six gram of proteins per servings. It is rich in selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and potassium. It helps prevent cardiovascular diseases by lowering your cholesterol levels.
4. Barley: Barley is also a very good absorber and apart from this quality it also has a very fine taste and gel like appearance. You can use this grain in soups, salads. This grain is available in three forms namely, pot, pearled and hulled. But the best one is pot as it is cooked easily and has the best nutrient capacity.
5. Pears: Fruits that contain pectin such as pears and apples are good absorbents. Due to this property they are very helpful in digestion, lowering your cholesterol levels and also maintain body’s sugar uptake. The skin of pear is rich in antioxidant Quentin.
6. Brussels Sprouts: They have lot of water absorbing fibers that can keep you satisfied for long time. In addition it also has certain chemicals that have the capability to initiate those enzymes that kills cancer producing cells. Brussels can be roasted, steamed but they should not be over cooked as it might change their taste and they will lose their nutritional importance.
7. Kidney Beans: All kind of beans are very efficient water absorbers and hence they should be taken in diet. Apart from this feature they also prevent coronary heart diseases. Kidney beans are more used because they taste better with soups and salads.
8. Oranges: Oranges are the best source to obtain vitamin C. they also contain vitamins like A, B-complex and they also have calcium and potassium. The white layers which is present just beneath the skin has good amount of pectin and vitamin C hence they shouldn’t be ignored or thrown in trash.
9. Agar: This agent is great absorber of glucose from body. They are made from seaweeds and their fibers absorb glucose from stomach pass into intestine and then it prevents the body from accumulating fats.
10. Nori: It is dried seaweed used as a wrapper for sushi. It has fine amount of water absorbing fibers. And it is easily available in food stores.
- Smith, H. (2014). 110 Quick & Easy Eat to Live Mouthwatering Meals: Lose Weight & Improve Health. Nisarg D Parekh.
- Ayerza, R., Coates, W., & Lauria, M. (2002). Chia seed (Salvia hispanica L.) as an omega-3 fatty acid source for broilers: influence on fatty acid composition, cholesterol and fat content of white and dark meats, growth performance, and sensory characteristics. Poultry Science, 81(6), 826-837.
- Egras, A. M., Hamilton, W. R., Lenz, T. L., & Monaghan, M. S. (2010). An evidence-based review of fat modifying supplemental weight loss products. Journal of obesity, 2011.