Obesity is on the rise and according to the latest estimates presented by World Health Organization (1), the global prevalence of obesity is as high as 62% in some developed countries of the world like United States. Likewise, contrary to the general perception, obesity is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in some low-socioeconomic countries of the world (for example, 20 to 22% of the entire population in South East Asia is obese or over-weight).
The obesity or weight gain is a global issue that is associated with a number of metabolic issues; such as diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, musculoskeletal issues and other health disorders. The people who wishes to maintain steady health and optimal level of physical fitness can lose substantial amount of body weight with some home-based exercises.
Why Opt for Home Based Exercises?
A latest survey suggests that busy and stressful daily regimen is one reason why most people tends to avoid gym; but if this is your issue, you can simply follow a home based workout plan to shed some unneeded weight. This workout regime of simple exercises can save you lots of money and time, and you wouldn’t have to purchase special heavyweight machines for exercises to keep your body in shape.
Here are some common and easy exercises:
It’s a classic exercise to maintain optimal levels of fitness. In addition, with the help of this exercise you can enhance remodeling of major musculoskeletal elements of your upper limb, chest and back muscles.
Here are some tips on how to perform push-ups effectively:
- Keep your legs straight and align your shoulders just perpendicular to the ground with your face towards the mat (as shown in the figure).
- Now gradually brings your body closer to the ground until your chest touches the mat. Make sure that your toes are well-supporting the weight of your trunk.
Do you know leg exercises are really effective in building muscles? This is mainly because unlike traditional gym exercises that targets mainly certain large group of muscles, squatting like exercises can target muscles like hamstrings, glutes, and quadriceps.
Squat is termed to be the best muscle building and fat burning exercise. You have to stand by keeping your hands behind your head, and your chest must be out while the elbows should be at the back. Sit at your hips and bend your knees as low as you can by keeping your spine straight, and push yourself back to the original position after squeezing your glutes.
V-Up and Roll
Healthcare providers suggest that effective exercise regimens should be multi-dimensional and constantly stimulating so your body can undergo constant remodeling and regeneration (2). however, for best results, make sure to incorporate exercises slowly and steadily to your regimen in order to minimize the risk of injuries or trauma. If you wish to reduce stress from your back by using your muscles, then the v-up and roll exercise is best for you.
In order to perform this exercise, you are required to lie on your back while keeping your legs straight. Now hold your arms straight (above the level of your chest while pointing towards the wall behind you). Now contract your abdominal muscles by lifting your legs from the floor and by stretching your arms towards your toes. Make sure to keep your back straight and then return to your original position
Using some weights along with the normal exercises is definitely not a bad idea. If you develop a habit of performing this exercise, you can easily stimulate your basal metabolism and enhance the fat degradation from the biceps region and other difficult areas.
Use the dumbbell weight on one side and then slowly begin to curl in order to lift the weight towards your shoulder. It will help you in contracting your biceps. The beauty of this exercise is the fact that you can perform this exercise in sitting, lying or standing positions.
There sure are plenty of other exercises, which you can follow on daily basis. Walking, cycling, swimming, and dancing are also helpful in maintaining the high levels of fitness and health. But keep in mind that these exercises should be followed regularly. If you want to live a healthy, functional and physically productive life, you should understand that optimal physical activity is the core of your wellness.
Besides exercise, make sure to comply with these tips as well:
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Follow a diet plan that is devoid of unhealthy processed, junk and fast food.
- Limit your overall intake of caffeinated beverages such as coke and coffee that are known to extract calcium and phosphorous from the bones.
- Minimize your intake of sugary content, and oily foods.
- Last but not the least, serve your body with proper amount of nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber to stay fit and health.
1. Gentil, P., Soares, S. R. S., Pereira, M. C., Cunha, R. R. D., Martorelli, S. S., Martorelli, A. S., & Bottaro, M. (2013). Effect of adding single-joint exercises to a multi-joint exercise resistance-training program on strength and hypertrophy in untrained subjects. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 38(3), 341-344.
2. Bezalel, T., Carmeli, E., & Katz-Leurer, M. (2010). The effect of a group education programme on pain and function through knowledge acquisition and home-based exercise among patients with knee osteoarthritis: a parallel randomised single-blind clinical trial. Physiotherapy, 96(2), 137-143.