Obesity is definitely a huge problem and with all the hype that is there in the news, media and other portals, almost everyone is striving hard to lose weight and achieve a size zero. But is it really healthy or recommended? Extensive research analysis suggests that any type of metabolic issue (whether obesity or malnutrition) can significantly increase the risk of premature aging and a variety of other health issues. In order to live a healthy, functional life, it is recommended that your body mass index falls between 20 to 25 kg/m2. Any value below or above these limits require active interventions.
Losing weight is not restricted to workouts, you can follow some simple diets to reduce your waist size too. According to a new study published in the peer reviewed New England Journal of Medicine (1), investigators suggested that one of the leading causes of abnormal weight gain is unhealthy lifestyle. For example, poor meal timing, inadequate meal spacing, choice of poor dietary ingredients, sedentary lifestyle and nutritional irregularities that compromises the normal metabolism.
Weight Loss Tips
There are certain things you need to follow in order to lose weight naturally, and the following methods can help you to lose weight in a healthy way and to keep your energy retained.
1. Don’t Miss Breakfast
The most important meal of the day breakfast shouldn’t be missed. Some high-fiber and low fat meal like oatmeal or cereals can be consumed with some fresh fruits in the breakfast,. Make sure not to choose sugar rich pancakes or pastries that metabolizes readily; thereby giving you an unneeded sugar rush. You should rather focus on high quality proteins with complex carbohydrates (such as egg and brown bread) to maintain steady energy levels until lunch.
2. Addition of Flavors
Instead of useless snacking, it is very important to incorporate healthy natural flavors in your meals such as ginger, cinnamon, mustard, horseradish, and garlic. These natural herbs furnishes a unique flavor while boosting your inherent metabolism to prevent unnecessary weight gain. Likewise, these herbs are also helpful in preventing from illness like cold, coughs, and allergies. Just a teaspoon of these flavors can get your metabolism rate up to 3 hours. Likewise, intake of green tea stimulates thermogenesis that helps in turning the fats of the body into energy. This process takes place with the help of antioxidants like catechins and caffeine.
Drink lots of water to keep the body hydrated and active. Research suggests that poor tissue hydration can result in dullness and laziness, but more importantly it also compromises vital functions like detoxification, metabolism and excretion of heavy metals. Normal water intake results in healthy digestive functions, appetite control, and fresh looking skin.
4. Seaweed Consumption
Plenty of iodine is present in seaweeds that help in keeping the thyroid gland healthy, which is the main cause of obesity. Chopped seaweed in salads, soups, and in meals for garnishing can be healthy and it can help you lose weight as well.
Spirulina or chlorella (marine algae) can be used in your drinks and even meals to help your body stabilize. During the weight loss process, you can possibly have problems like headaches and low blood pressures but with the help of spirulina, you can keep your energy restored.
5. Over-the-counter Supplements:
- Calcium: Use of calcium can help you weight loss. People who consume dairy products are more likely to lose weight than people with workouts. Studies have shown calcium and magnesium taken up collectively results in calamity of the body and can improve sleep too.
- Primrose Oil: Usage of three grams of primrose oil can reduce the appetite and make you less hungry, which can ultimately reduce weight, as the increased serotonin in the body will make you feel less hungry.
- Bee Pollen: The fat metabolism is controlled in the liver of the body. Bee pollen can optimize the liver and help produce new cells in the liver.
6. Seeds and Dry Food
Waterlogged fats in the body can reduce the metabolism rate. Eating dry food like nuts and seeds can help in speeding up metabolism. The seeds and nuts consumed contain omega-3 and unsaturated fats in them, which can ultimately help in satiation and give the body its required energy.
In short, weight loss should be taken as a healthy long term approach to enhance physical and emotional fitness of your body and therefore a schematic approach is far more preferred over the fad approach. For best results, make an appointment with your dietitian or primary care provider for suitable advice.
1. Mozaffarian, D., Hao, T., Rimm, E. B., Willett, W. C., & Hu, F. B. (2011). Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men.New England Journal of Medicine, 364(25), 2392-2404.
2. Hoque, M. S., Benjakul, S., & Prodpran, T. (2011). Properties of film from cuttlefish (< i> Sepia pharaonis</i>) skin gelatin incorporated with cinnamon, clove and star anise extracts. Food Hydrocolloids, 25(5), 1085-1097.
3. Jensen, M. G., Kristensen, M., & Astrup, A. (2012). Effect of alginate supplementation on weight loss in obese subjects completing a 12-wk energy-restricted diet: a randomized controlled trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 96(1), 5-13.