- Are you aware that more than 1 billion individuals are over-weight or obese globally?
- According to the statistics reported in 1995 (by US Food and Drug Administration), more than $30 billion are spend each year in the weight management products or weight loss programs.
- Surprisingly, in only a small period of 2 decades, the market size of weight loss products, which includes supplements, diets and beverages, has doubled (i.e. has crossed $60 billion) according to a new report.
Effective Weight Loss Solutions
But here are a few mind boggling questions!
- After trying these weight loss products, how many people tend to maintain normal body weight for longer than 6 months?
- What are the hazards of long term weight loss solutions?
- Can you consume weight loss supplements and beverages for the rest of your life?
Unfortunately, the answer to most of these questions is rather disappointing. In simple words, most of the conventional weight loss solutions are impractical, too dangerous or very costly for long term use. This leaves us with natural remedies that are comparatively less harmful (even if used over a long period of time.
Most popular natural weight loss solutions are
- Herbal supplements
- Acupressure and Acupuncture
Natural Weight Loss Solutions
Let’s discuss these natural weight loss solutions in more detail:
This form of natural or complementary therapy was originated in India, but has then spread to Central and Latin America, Far-Eastern countries, African and European countries. Ayurveda is one of the oldest system of healthcare systems that aims at targeting the entire body and focusing on creating a balance between the mind, soul and the body. Ayurveda practices include a healthy mix of:
- Dietary changes
- Use of specific herbs
It is a popular choice for weight loss in different parts of the world and can be effectively used by individuals who are suffering from systemic diseases or metabolic syndromes. Various studies have demonstrated the efficacy and benefits of Ayurveda care in the long term.
Use of nutritional supplements and certain herbs in recommended doses has been known to improve the metabolism and calorie expenditure. Most pharmacies in US are fully equipped with herbal supplements that are enriched with vitamins minerals, proteins and trace elements to ensure weight loss with minimal risk of adverse effects. Several studies have been conducted to explore the mode of action, effective dose and risk of adverse effects of these herbal supplements.
Some statistically proven herbal agents that are known to promote weight loss (with minimal risk of adverse effects are):
- Green tea extract
- Garlic extract
- Guggul Herb Extract
- Grapefruit seeds
- Ma Huang
- Kelp seaweed
- Coleus Forskohlii
You can also speak to a recognized herbalist to prepare a specific weight loss formulation for you by combining effective herbs. Herbal tea blends, antioxidants and vitamins have their effects on the metabolism of body and can be incorporated in everyday diet for long periods of time. However, if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or planning to conceive, make sure to discuss with your primary care provider before initiating any herbal regimen.