Introduction To Alternative Weight Loss Therapies
We as human beings are similar in many respects, such as in terms of anatomy, physiology and biochemical composition. Yet when it comes to intricate human characteristics (such as metabolism, digestion, weight management or calorie expenditure etc.), every human body works differently.Many people used different things for weight loss but they don’t know about many natural alternative weight loss therapies.
It is logical to assume that most of the physical characteristics are determined by our unique genetic composition (obtain from our parents); yet several other factors also play a role. These are:
- Environmental factors
- Nutritional factors
- Geographic factors
- Unique genetic adaptations
Weight gain and metabolic syndrome are recognized issues that requires emergent and immediate management. But isn’t it true that our bodies react differently to different weight loss therapies? For example, some individuals lose weight more readily with diet modification; while other spend hours in gym. Yet some individual swear by the fact that neither exercise nor calorie restriction is effective in their case.
Why is that so and Alternative Weight Loss Therapies
Scientists and nutritionist attribute it to the difference in the inherent metabolic characteristics that are unique to every individual but certain natural solutions can help in improving the health prospects.
What are some Signs that may suggest your Weight Gain is due to Secondary Causes?
Here are a few sins that may suggest you need a natural method of healthcare management – something beyond dieting or exercise:
- Inability to lose weight, despite significant calorie restriction
- Extremely slow metabolism and requirement of over-the-counter fiber intake to maintain normal bowel movements
- Poor levels of energy and low stamina
- Abnormal cravings for unhealthy food most of the time (even after regular meals)
- Failing overall health (marked by recurring attacks of headache, weakness, sleep difficulty, immune deficits etc.)
Natural Solutions for Healthy Weight Loss
Diet modification and strenuous workout does work in losing weight; but most of these strategies are only effective for short term. Here are two most incredible natural solutions for long term weight loss:
It is one of the oldest Chinese techniques, which involves the insertion of fine needles at specific pressure and energy points (also known as meridians). The practice is based on the theory of ‘qi’ or energy; it is believed by that an imbalance in the flow of energy through the body is the primary cause of most health problems. These include obesity, body pain and heart diseases and strokes etc.
There are fourteen meridians, with each corresponding to a particular organ each. Acupuncture performed in the hands of an expert practitioner helps in the stimulation of meridians that promotes metabolism and calorie expenditure. Several clinical trials and research studies conducted on acupuncture have statistical proven the efficacy of therapy in the long term management of migraine and stress headaches, joint pain and musculoskeletal ailments.
Acupuncture is believed to promote weight loss by
- Suppressing hunger
- Restoring optimal hormonal and biochemical balance
- Improving energy levels (and rate of physical activity)
Study reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (3) suggested that ear acupuncture is fairly effective in promoting healthy weight loss in obese subjects.
This technique is very similar to acupuncture, both these techniques rely on stimulation of certain points that bring about internal changes in the body, using pressure instead of needles. The effectiveness of acupressure has been proven for the treatment of chronic pains, but little evidence is found when it comes to the topic of weight loss. One study has shown that a group of patients who received acupressure for six months had managed to lose roughly two pounds more than the group of people who followed similar regimen but without acupressure (4).
Besides acupuncture and acupressure; there are several effective remedies that plays a vital role in promoting heathy weight loss without increasing the risk of adverse effects such as herbal remedies, Ayurveda tonics, hypnotherapy, nutritional supplements etc.
- Richards, D., & Marley, J. (1998). Stimulation of auricular acupuncture points in weight loss. Australian family physician, 27, S73-7.
- Allison, D. B., Fontaine, K. R., Heshka, S., Mentore, J. L., & Heymsfield, S. B. (2001). Alternative treatments for weight loss: a critical review. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 41(1), 1-28.
- Mok, M. S., Parker, L. N., Voina, S., & Bray, G. A. (1976). Treatment of obesity by acupuncture. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 29(8), 832-835.
- Allison, D. B., Kreibich, K., Heshka, S., & Heymsfield, S. B. (1995). A randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial of an acupressure device for weight loss. International journal of obesity and related metabolic disorders: journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity, 19(9), 653-658.